Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tombstone tuesday- William Arthur Wright


I am writing about my second great grandfather, William Arthur Wright, and attempting to remember the facts off the top of my head as this is the only time i have to blog today. :-)  He was born in hawleyville, Page County, Iowa in 1896.  I have found him on every census that i am able to find him on- including the state census records- and in 90% of them he is in Montgomery County, Iowa.  His father ran a saw mill and when he was old enough, he ran it and then took it over when his father died.  I found his WWI draft registration card and he did serve in the War.  I don't know much about that part of his life.  I still need to order his records.  What I do know is that he was at War when his son was very young.  I heard from other family members that 2 weeks before he came home from War, his wife took his son and fled to Montana.  He did remarry eventually and have more children.  I hear further that the son came back to visit sometimes in the summer.  William died in 1960 and is buried in the Villisca Cemetery in Villisca, Montgomery County, Iowa.  From the stories and pictures I have gathered, he was a hard working man who loved his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment