Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories, Day 1 The Christmas Tree

We have always had a Christmas tree as far as I can remember.  It was always a fun time to decorate it.  We would have snacks and have a movie in, usually Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  In the recent years it has been tradition for me to put my Christmas items and tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving, bake cookies (chocolate chip), put in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and decorate the tree.  Every year I get a new ornament to represent that year.  My dog Sierra also gets one.  :-)  I have ornaments from other pets I have had and I put them up.  If someone dies or is born, I try to get an ornament to represent that as well.  My nieces and nephews have come to know they are getting an ornament from me for Christmas.  I just thought it would be fun for them to have their own mementos and a piece of home for when they are on their own. 
One picture that stands out in my mind (and I don't have a copy right now to attach) is the picture of my great great grandparents (Wilson's) sitting in front of their Christmas tree.  You can barely see them, it's kind of like a shadow, but enough to tell it's them.  They are in front of a window with this Charlie Brown looking tree sitting on a little table (if I remember correctly).  It is slightly decorated but they look content.  I'm thinking they knew what the holidays were really about!
I have since added the image.  When I looked at the picture again it first looked like a house plant, but you can see the few things hanging from it, such as the bell.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment