Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent Calendar of Memories, Day 5: Outdoor Decorations

Growing up I don't remember having outdoor decorations much until I was about 11.  Then my mom married my step dad and he liked to decorate for Christmas.  We had a light up santa and reindeer on the roof, lights from every corner, not quite the Lampoon's Christmas vacation, but sometimes close!  We had toy soldiers on the curbs. 
When we moved to the country, the decorations spread!  We had lights lined all the way down the driveway.  We still had the light up santas, reindeer and soldiers, but now we had these wooden decorations as well.  My step dad, Will's great grandparents had made a santa and reindeer and my mom used cardboard to make a pattern and they cut the pattern out of plywood.  At that point she painted them and they stood on the fence corner for as long as I can remember.  They may still be there now!  Since I have been on my own I have worked on building my indoor decor more than anything, so this year will be the first time I attempt any outdoor decor on my own and I plan on putting a few lights on our lonely bush outside.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment